On the second day of Their Royal Highnesses visit to Canada the Saint Nicholas Serbian Orthodox Church in Hamilton, Ontario held the Hierarchal Divine Liturgy officiated by His Grace Bishop Longin of New Gracanica and Midwestern America.
The service was glorious and the choir was enchanting. Most touching were the 60 Sunday school students ranging in ages from two to sixteen who towards the end of the service were brought up to receive communion and blessings from His Grace.
Following the service the Kolo Srpskih Sestara headed by Mrs. Milka Culic prepared a wonderful luncheon for 400 guests. The President of the church Mr. Rajko Djurdjevic welcomed the Royal Couple and was instrumental in organizing the spectacular afternoon. Following the luncheon an amazing program was prepared by folklore director Mr. George Lukic with three various groups performing. Inspiring speeches by His Grace Bishop Longin, Their Royal Highnesses Crown Prince Alexander and Crown Princess Katherine and newly elected Member of Parliament Mr. Bob Bratina, were included in the program.
St. Nicholas’s Serbian Orthodox church is home to the oldest Serbian parish in Eastern Canada and was founded in 1913. The last Royal visit to the church and community was in 1959 when the late His Majesty King Peter the II visited.
The church congregation has been very generous and last year donated $ 70,000 to Lifeline Canada in order to aid the flood victims, in both Serbia and Republica Srpska.